For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the fajitas:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard OR 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs sliced
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced (I used red, yellow, orange and green)
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
- cauliflower rice or lettuce for serving
- Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the chicken marinade for drizzling on the chicken at the end. Pour the remainder of the marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the chicken. Press the bag to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
- Slice the onions and bell peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Add the reserved chicken marinade to the skillet and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Serve over some lettuce, cauliflower rice and with sliced avocados and lime wedges.